Shivpuri Omkareshwar Jyotirling (Hindi:ओम्कारेश्वर ज्योतिर्लिंग, Sanskrit:शिवपुरी म्करेश्वर् ज्योतिर्लिन्ग) is located at a distance of about 12 miles from Mortakka in Madhya Pradesh.
A special feature of the location of Omkareshwar Temple is that the river Narmada branches into two and forms an island Mandhata or Shivapuri in the center. The shape of the island resembles that of the visual representation of the Omkara sound, ॐ
Omkareshwar Temple - Abstract
In Omkareshwar Mandir regular Pujan and Seva of deity is beings performed from centuries in the same ways. Timings of Pujan and Darshan may change during Festivals and special Occasions
The Schedule for Pujan and darshan is as follows:
|5:00 AM||5:30 AM||Temples Opens with Mangala Aarti|
|5:30 AM||12:25 PM||Jalabhishek|
|12:25 PM||1:15 PM||Madyan Bhog|
|1:15 PM||3:50 PM||Jalabhishek|
|3:50 PM||4:15 PM||Vyavastha(Darshan Closed)|
|4:15 PM||8:20 PM||Shingar Darshan|
|8:20 PM||9:05 PM||Sayan Arti|
|9:05 PM||9:35 PM||Sayan Darshan|
|9:35 PM||5:00 AM||Pat band Vishram|
The waters of Narmada emanated from the Arghya (holy water) or Jalahari of the Omkar JyotirLinga and flown through the mountains, downward and later on flow unseen. Narmada joins the deep-water spring located near the Linga idol of Omkareshwar. It flows there eternally. When some bubbles appear at the bottom of this spring, it is said, that Lord Shankar is pleased.
- King Mandhata made this holy place his capital. Therefore, this place is also known as Omkar Mandhata. The descendents of Mandhata live here even today. The Vindhya mountain also performed a severe penance and pleased Omkar-Amareshwar. As a result of which, the whole place turned beautiful. Many hermits like Agastya have performed severe penances and japas at Omkar-Amaleshwaram JyotirLingam. They had built their hermitages.
- This place of pilgrimage became famous in the historical times too. In 1063 AD, Paramarking Udayaditya installed four stone inscriptions with four Sanskrit Stotras and dedicated them to the Amaleshwar Temple. Pushpadanta’s “Shiva Mahima Stotra” can also be seen as a stone inscription.
- Initially aboriginals used to live here on Omkareshwar island as a settlement. It belonged to Kalika devi. Devotees of this goddess were known as Bhairavgan and used to harass pilgrims. They used to sacrifice them. After sometime, a saint by the name Dariyayinath took charge of that place and stopped the atrocities of the Bhairavgan. Since then, pilgrims started moving there freely.
- After that, Bhil reign began there. In 1195 AD, King Bharat Singh Cahuhan won over the Bhils and improved the grandeur of the Omkar Mandhata. Even today the palace ruins of Raja Bahrat Singh Chauhan can be seen. The heirs of Bharat Singh Chauhan call themselves the ‘Kings’ of Omkar island, even now staking their right.
- The temple was renovated by Peshwa Baji Rao, the second. After Peshwa, Punyashlok Ahilya Devi Holkar, has made several improvements in this ancient shrine. She built strong, expansive and beautiful ghats. The important one among there is the Koti Lingarchana schedule
Omkareswar is a Jyotirlinga of Lord Shiva located on the banks of the Narmada, . It is located at a distance of about 77 KM from Indore and 13 km from Mortakka in Madhya Pradesh. The river Narmada splits into two and forms an island named Mandhata or Shivapuri in the center. This island is about 4 KM long and 2 KM wide. The shape of the island resembles the visual representation of the letter Om.
The main Omkareswar temple is built in the North Indian style of architecture, with high spires. This temple is the main attraction of the pilgrims. As to who constructed the temple and when, is still unknown. The sanctum sanctorum containing the Jyotirlinga seems to have been originally a small temple of the old construction style, the dome being made of layers of stone slabs. As this temple is too close to the straight deep bank of the Narmada to the south, the great extension is of new construction style. This is the reason why the sanctum sanctorum and the main deity are neither in the front of the main door nor below the higher conspicuous Shikhar or the tower of later construction. Omkareshwar, Lord Mahakaleshwar, Sidhhanath, Gupteshwar and Dhwadhadhari shikhar.
Omkareshwar temple in 1959 has been declared a public trust under the M.P Public Trusts Act 1951,
A scheme of management was introduced in 1967/U/S 27 of the M.P. Public Trust Act, with 7 trustees including the Rao of Mandhata (as managing trustee) and his nominee, two nominee of the Collector Khandwa , tree representatives each one of the Zilla pachayat Khandwa, Block panchayat Punasa and of the Nagar Panchayat Omkareshwar.The present managing trustee is Rao Devendra Singh of the Rao family.
The nearest airport is Indore (77KM), Connected by regular flights from all over India
Nearest railhead is Omkareshwar road (Mortakka) 12 KM on ratlam Khandawa section of Western Railway
Omkareshwar is connected to Indore Khandawa and Ujjain by regular bus services
Shiva Puran describes the greatness of Omkareshwar and Mammaleshwar. It says, two sons of the sun dynasty Mandhata – Ambarish and Mucchkund practiced severe penance and austerities here and pleased Lord Shiva. They also performed great religious sacrifices in this place because of which the mountain is named Mandhata.
Another popular legend says that once upon a time Vidhya Parvat practiced severe penance and worshipped Parthivarchana along with Lord Omkareshwar for nearly six months. As a result Lord Shiva was pleased and blessed him with the desire boon. On the sincere request of all the gods and the sages Lord Shiva made two parts of the lings. One half being Omkareshwara and the other Amaleshwara or Amareshwar.
Omkareshwar or better known as Mandhata Omkareshwar is one of the foremost of the 12 Joytirlingas or it is luminous physical self-presentation of Lord Shiva of the Hindus. Omkareshwar, the sacred island, shaped like the holiest of all Hindu symbols, ‘Om’, has drawn to it hundreds of generations of pilgrims.
Omkareswar kshetra parikrama is the very important thing to do in Omkareswar tour.The parikrama route Starts from Omkareswar temple and completes after surrounding the hill.Adi Shankaracharya did parikrama when he visited Omkareswar jyotirling.While doing parikrama, he met his Guru Sri Govindapada and learned Advaita from him.We can see that place at the end of parikrama.It is nearer to Omkareswar temple.
First of all we will reach Triveni sangamam.Here we can take holy bath.Just after Triveni sangamam there is a temple of Runa Mukteswar. In this temple people offer Red gram to lord Siva. After that the journey is through forest.It is very pleasent and nice to see in Winter season.After crossing this forest there is a temple of Bholenath.It is the mid point of parikrama. The Siva linga in this temple is very big and it is made of Narmada banam. After that we will reach Durga Goddess temple. By crossing Durga temple we will enter into a deep forest.In the forest there are many ancient monuments and temples which are under the control of Indian Archeological department.
In the way of Parikrama one can see so many Sadhus belonging to different traditions.If we are lucky we can see deers and peacocks in the route. The view of Narmada river is very beautiful with the bridges and the Project. The last stop is the cave of Guru Govindapada. Totally we can get very much pleasure by doing this parikrama.
Important places in Circum rotation route (Geeta Parikrama Marg) in Omkareshawar are listed below:
Significance of Omkareshwar Jyotirling:
Omkareshwar is a beautiful self manifest (swayambhu) linga. From the Vindhyanchal mountain range in Madhya Pradesh, river Narmada, turns westward and meanders in that direction.
- The deep wide river looks like it has assimilated into itself all the sins and sorrows of the humans and releasing them from these. This river Narmada, which flows rippling from the mountains, is also known as “Reva”. The smooth, round pebbles found in this river are called “BanaLingas”.
- “Narmada ke Kankar, UtteShankar” is the belief of the devotees. That is how, Narmada is also known as “Shankari” river.
- On the banks of river Narmada, there is a huge island on which the fourth of the JyotirLinga “Omkaram Amaleshwar” is situated. This island and the river are shaped like “OM” and that is how it derives its name.
Some scholar say, King Mandhatha of the Ishvaku clan is believed to have worshipped Shiva here. Besides, Govinda Bhagavatpaada, the Guru of Shankaracharya is believed to have lived in a cave here.
Other Significant Temples near Omkareshwar Temple:
Other attractions to visit near Omkareshwar Jyotirling Temple:
The temples of the 24 Avatars in Omkareshwar are a remarkable site. This is because the architecture of each temple is different from the rest, and exclusive styles are used which makes the 24 avatars a major tourist attraction of Omkareshwar.
During the time of Mahmud of Ghazni in the 11th century, the Muslim invaders had destroyed many of the Hindu and Jain temples that stood in different parts of the country, including Omkareshwar. But still, there are a number of temples that’s still stand on Omkareshwar soil. Of these are the 24 avatars, a group of Jain and Hindu Temples.
Sri Dada Darbar Khanwada is the original Mausoleum and shrine of Shri 1008 Bade Dadaji Keshawananda ji Maharaj and Shri 1008 Chhote dadaji Hariharanand ji Maharaj. Shri 1008 Bade Dadaji Maharaj took salvation on 3 Dec 1930 and Shri 1008 Chhote Dadaji Maharaj on 5 Fab 1942. Beautiful temples and ashram are made on both Mausoleums. The temples are open for darshan 24 hours a day. Dada Darbar is situated at Khandwa which is about 70 KM far. Both Road and Train routes are available to get there.
The Ghats on river narmada at omkareshwar are very beautiful and pleasant the flow of river is always remains constant here and water is clean, depth of water on the ghats are moderate so it’s always safe for pilgrims to take a holy dip on any of the ghats, Railings and chains are installed on ghats for safety of pilgrims and to prevent them from going into deep waters. Safety boats are also arranged for extra safety. Kotitirth ghat that’s situated exactly under the main temple and comes in front of the main shrine is most significant amongst all ghats. It is believed that by taking an immersion on this ghat one could gain “Punya” of a billion pilgrimages
Siddahvar Koot is a sacred pilgrimage of Jainism situated on the confluence of river Narmada and Kaveri near Omkareshwar. This is considered amongst most holy places under Jain religion. This is believed that many Mythological characters took Salvation here. Jain temples known as Jinalayas exist here, they are 10 in number and some of them are very old, constructed nearly about 1488 AD. From 13th to 15th the date of brighter fortnight of Phagun an annual congregation is organized here. Devotees can go there by road or by boats from Omkareshwar.
Mandu also known as Mandav Gadh it is a very beauti full tourist spot in Dhar district of Madhya Pradesh.its about 160 KM from Indore and 90 KM from Indore.Mandu is situated on the hieght of 2000 ft in the Vindhya mountains.Basically it was capital of Parmar Kings of Malwa then in 13th century The Sulans of Malwa renamed it as "Shadiabad" means The city of happyness. Shahi hammam, Jahaj Mahal, Hindola Mahal, are main attraction here. The architecture of buildings are exilent and beautiful works on domes are worth watching. Mandu is connected by road from indore.
The Omkareshwar Project was conceived in 1965 as irrigation and power dam to be built in the Central Indian State of Madhya Pradesh it is one of 30 large dams builtin the Narmada Valley. The Omkareshwar Project area lies along the banks of the Narmada and the Kaveri River (a tributary of Narmada).
Omkareshwar Dam supplies power to the State of Madhya Pradesh and the annual generation from this hydroelectric project is 1167 million units in first Stage, 696 million units in Second Stage, 540 million units in third stage. About 529 villages got benefit of irrigation from this dam that will cause a growth of .725 million tons of grains and .835 million tons other crops in the area.
This is 949 M. long and 33 M. high concrete gravity dam having installed capacity of 520 MW. 23 Radial gates of size 20 M. x 17 M. provided in the spillway section are anchored to the pier through RCC Tr union girder of size 10 M x 5 M x 5 M. by Freyssinet 27K15 unbounded tendons.
The dam started functioning in the year 2007. Because of this dam a reservoir of many square kilometer is created, which is having beautiful Islands In between.