Aayirathu Enn Vinayaka,Arumugamangalam,Thoothukudi
Moolavar : Aayirathu Enn Vinayaka
Urchavar : –
Amman / Thayar : –
Thala Virutcham : –
Theertham : –
Agamam / Pooja : –
Old year : 2000-3000 years old
Historical Name : –
City : Arumugamangalam
District : Thoothukudi
State : Tamil Nadu
10 day Chithirai Brahmmotsavam in April-May, with a procession of Heramba Ganapathy Nataraja on the seventh day.
This is one of the famous temples dedicated exclusively for Lord Vinayaka with a Rath (car), flag post and celebrating
The temple is open from 6.00 a.m. to 11.00 a.m. and from 5.00 p.m. to 8.00 p.m.
Sri Aayirathu Enn Vinayaka Temple, Arumugamangalam – 628 802, Tuticorin district.
In early days, the Brahmins of this place installed Aayirathu Enn Vinayaka on the banks of float tank (Teppakulam) of this place and were worshipping. The sanctum sanctorum and Arthamandap were built first. Later shrines of Kalahastheeswarar, Kalyani Amman and Mahamandap were added. The temple began to see extensions. Tiruvavaduthurai Aadheenam contributed the flag post, car and the procession deities. The roof top and other mandaps were recently further added.
As a rule, all begin their routines, domestic or otherwise offering the first prayer to Lord Vinayaka. People pray for removal of obstacles in wedding efforts, progress in education, for early settlements in litigations pending in courts, frequent repairs in vehicles leading to accidents. People pray to Aayirathu Enn Vinayaka before starting any enterprise for auspicious results.
Realizing their wishes, devotees break 108 or 1008 coconuts in the temple lighting 108 deeps (lamps) in the temple.
Greatness Of Temple:
Acharya Sri Adi Sankara sang His Ganesha Pancharatna hymn in this temple before proceeding to Tiruchendur to worship Lord Muruga with his Subramania Bhujangam for remedy from a physical problem.
According to history, Vadhabi Ganapathy (Vinayaka) brought from North was the first to be installed in Tiruchengattankudi in Thanjavur in Tamilnadu in 7th century. Against this fact, the claim that Aayirathu Enn Vinayaka was installed here 2300 years ago appears to be strange. However, since the Vedic period, as Vinayaka worship occupies a priority place in pujas to any Hindu God, this may be acceptable also to a spiritual mind. We make Vinayaka even with turmeric powder or even with sand when we need to have one. Aayirathu Enn Vinayaka is one who came to us this way of His own to bless us.
During the fourth century, a king Somara Vallaban brought 1008 Brahmins from the Narmada River region to conduct a Yajna. Yet their number was short by one. Lord Vinayaka appeared there in the guise of a Brahmin and helped completing the Yajna in order. Hence, the Vinayaka is named Aayirathu Enn Vinayaka – 1008th Vinayaka. It is said that Vinayaka stayed in the Arumugamangalam village itself offered to him as Dakshina.