Sri. Tanikella Bharani (Telugu: తనికెళ్ళ భరణి) (born on 14th July, 1956) is an Indian film (mainly Telugu) and theater actor, screen play, poet, magazine editor, script writer and director. He has worked in more than 500 films (Including Tamil, Kannada and Hindi). Tanikella Bharani was born in Secunderabad at Gandhi Hospital to TVV Setu Ramalingeswar Rao and Laxminarasamma of Brahmin community. His great grandfather was Diwakarla Venkatavadhani, a Telugu scholar and his grandfather was Divakarla Tirupati Sastry. His uncle was Viswanatha Satyanarayana.
He is a commerce graduate, B.Com and a PG Diploma in Theatre Arts.
Bharani did stage plays in the mid 70s and during this time he made the acquaintance of Rallapalli, a Tollywood actor. With his help Bharani started writing small dialogues and stage scenes. Later, he took a diploma in Theatre arts. Following Rallapalli’s advice he moved to Chennai.
He started his career as a dialogue writer for Kanchu Kavcham in 1985. and has written dialogues for various movies like Ladies Tailor (1985 film), Sri Kanaka Mahalakshmi Recording Dance Troupe (1987), Varasudochhadu (1988), Chettu Kinda Pleader (1989), Swara Kalpana (1989), and Seenu Vasanthi Lakshmi (2004). Bharani also penned and sung the lyrics of Gundammagaari Manavadu (Bhale Bhaleti Mandu).
He has acted in more than 500 movies starting with Ladies Tailor (1985) & Sri Kanaka Mahalakshmi Recording Dance Troupe (1987) in which he was seen as Dora Babu. In 1989 he appeared in the hit film Shiva by Ram Gopal Varma which starred Nagarjuna. With the release of the film Shiva, he received much recognition and his character Nanaji impressed the whole Telugu audience. He also played the lead role in the Hindi comedy film Main Tere Pyar Mein Pagal in 1999. His powerful antagonism in Samudram won him the Nandi award as the Best Villain.
After 2000, he started playing more mature roles in movies like Manmadhudu (2002), Okariki Okaru (2003), Samba (2004), Malliswari, Godavari (2006), Happy (2006), and more.He played one of the lead roles in Rajubhai (2007).
He is very much popular in the background of movie industry, often quoted as “Maga Saraswathy” ( Male god of education) by different actors and actresses.
Bharani is married to Bhavani and has a son, Maha Teja and a daughter, Soundarya Lahari.
Tanikella Bharani Received :
State Government Nandi Awards
- Best Villain – Samudram
- Best Character Actor – Nuvvu Nenu
- Sangam Academy award for completing 25 years in Telugu Cinema
- Tana was honored Thanikella Bharani with the title “Bahumuka Kalabramha”
Awards for Short Films (as a Director)
- Idaho Panhandle Award, Hyderabad International Film Festival Award as the Best Debut Director for Sira, The Ink.
- Sira,the ink:-movie won the `Best Antiterrorism Message Award’ at the ‘Idaho Panhandle International Film Festival’. (The movie directed by tanikella bharani and first surrealistic movie in Telugu surreleastic:correlating the shattered images of your dream and made as movie)
- 10th Mumbai International Film Festival Award
- Hyderabad International Film Festival Award as the Best Director for Blue Cross.
2. Nakshatra Darshanam
4. Endaro Mahanubavulu